Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Resting

Is it weird that I struggle with taking rest days?  Do "normal" people not look forward to sleeping in later, and giving their body a break from hard physical work?
 
Guys - every week I struggle so hard to force myself to take my rest day.  With my current muscle group split, I rest on Thursdays and Sundays.  Every Wednesday evening (cough*right now*cough), I start turning reasons around in my mind why I should get up and workout in the morning.
 
Who does that?!?
 
My alarm goes off at 4:30 AM on Mon, Tues, Weds, and Fri.  It goes off at 5:50 AM on Saturdays.  What's wrong with me, that I don't want to sleep until 6 AM on Thursday?
 
I've seen a ton of progress with my body in the last few months, and I know that's a big driving force with my motivation right now.  I've also started taking a pre-workout, which makes my workouts much "easier," if you will, to do.
 
Rest days are imperative for a healthy lifestyle, though.  Not only do they allow your physical body to rest and recover, they also prevent burnout. 
 
Things I try to focus on on rest days are eating the right, healthful foods, getting enough sleep, taking care of any food prep I need to take care of for the rest of the week, and thinking about how awesome that shoulder workout is going to feel on Friday morning! :)
 
 
What about you?  Do you struggle with rest days, or live for them?
 
What's your workout routine look like?
 
Am I totally weird?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Stephanie,
    I don't really have any rest days per say. But, instead light days. I also work out different muscles groups and alternate between resistance training and cardio. So for example Monday is Cardio day. But on Tuesdays I do a low key treadmill (mainly just walking or walking at a steep incline) in the morning and then in the afternoon I lift. Wesnesday I do Cardio again but no lifting. In the end I do cardio 4 days a week, not counting the light walking days and lift 3 days a week.

    ReplyDelete